Friday, July 11, 2014

31 Days of Joy: Sing and Dance for Joy

“Music is the voice of the soul.”
― Unknown


Sing and dance for joy.

Did you know that you were created by God to praise and worship Him? To sing and dance naturally puts us in a better mood- we were just created that way, and there is nothing wrong with it. Singing songs of praise and worship has such a unique way of bringing your heart, soul, mind, and strength together to focus entirely and completely on God. In an age of distraction – singing grabs the attention of all our senses and focuses them back on God. If you are at work, play your music softly at you desk. When you are in the car, blast your music and sing loudly as you cruise down the highway. When you are at home, put in your headphones, while you sit in your favorite chair. Put on some praise music and dance in your living room before the Lord. David was a man after God's own heart because he often danced before the Lord with all of his heart. We are exhorted to praise the Lord with our whole being. Dancing and singing is a great way to do this. Sometimes the right song is exactly what you need to take you mind off of everything else and get focused on God. When you take you mind off of your problems, and onto God, you will begin to experience true joy. Often times, we think only of singing when we’re happy and times are good, but singing can also bring strength in hard times. While in prison, Paul and Silas sang praises to God while the other prisoners listened (Acts 16:25). Singing gives birth to joy, and joy gives birth to singing. If you are struggling for joy – SING! If you are joyful – SING! In God’s perfect design He has made joy and singing go together for His people.

Focus Scriptures:
Jeremiah 31:13
Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance, and the young men and the old shall be merry. I will turn their mourning into joy; I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow.

Psalm 30:11-12
You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness, That my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

Psalm 59:16
But as for me, I will sing about your power. Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. For you have been my refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress.


Joy in Action Today:
Pull out all of your favorite praise and worship song and have them readily available with you throughout the day. Whenever you get a chance, listen and sing along to a few songs.