Friday, July 25, 2014

31 Days of Joy: Take Responsibility

“Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves
to recognize how good things really are.”
―Marianne Williamson



Take responsibility.

We must stand up and accept responsibility for our thoughts, our feelings and our actions. No one else is responsible; not the devil, not our friends, nor our neighbors, our families and definitely not our circumstances (as some would have us believe). What each and every individual thinks, feels or does is his or her responsibility. It's a result of free choice. For instance, 2 Peter 3:18 commands us to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ." Whose responsibility is it to work on my personal growth? Is it the preacher's job to get us to grow? Is it our parent's task to babysit us as we grow? We need to quit blaming our actions, thoughts and feelings on someone or something else. If I'm not growing it's because I'm not doing the things growth requires. If I'm not learning, its because I'm not studying. If I feel abandoned by God, its because I've separated myself from Him. If I feel empty, its because I've not allowed God to fill my life with meaning. If I feel lonely, its because I won't allow God to hold my hand and lift me up. I must work on my personal relationship with Him daily - and only God can help me do that. Friends and family, brothers and sisters in Christ can assist me, but whether I have their help or not, I am ultimately responsible for all that I think, all that I feel, and all that I do.

Focus Scriptures:
Galatians 6:5
Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.

1 Corinthians 3:8
Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

Psalm 62:12
and with you, Lord, is unfailing love"; and, "You reward everyone according to what they have done.

1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 

Joy in Action Today:
Take a hold of your responsibility today! Is there something you have been procrastinating in doing? Is there someone you need to call? Is there a task you need to plan for? Do it! Set aside a time today to take one step toward accomplishing something.